[Sportsandrec] echo location was blind skateboarder

Daniel Meek dmmeek at advisorfyi.net
Wed Feb 20 15:50:04 UTC 2013

Thanks everyone for the information on echolocation.

I was hoping someone with some knowledge and experience with
echolocation could answer a few questions regarding my situation.

I am 39 years old and have Usher Syndrome Type 3.  I do have some
vision, but not enough for mobility by sight, and I am in the process
of learning how to use a cane to travel.

I am also hearing impaired and wear hearing aids.  Does anyone know if
I could learn or benefit from echolocation?  Or would the hearing aid
microphone not pick up enough directional information.

I do use some hearing for mobility, such as passing the doorway of a
room with a television allows me to identify where the entrance is.
However, this is not what I would call echolocation.

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions anyone might have.

Thank you.

Daniel