[Sportsandrec] SNUBA

Kelly Thornbury kthornbury at bresnan.net
Tue Feb 26 19:01:59 UTC 2013

SNUBA is a system where your air is supplied from the surface instead of from SCUBA tanks. I think the word is a combination of "snorkel" and "SCUBA." Personally, it's a way for cruise ships to put uncertified divers in the water, as SNUBA currently requires no certs, just a half-hour lesson. It's basically based on those old Mark V type set-ups the navy and commercial divers used to use. Fine if you trust that no one on the boat will step on, accidentally cut, or otherwise compromise your air line, and that the air source isn't sucking in engine fumes. I wouldn't do it personally, but I guess from a blind perspective you could use the SNUBA line to orientate yourself to neutral buoyancy. As an experienced diver, I wonder if you would get the same satisfaction from this set up over real SCUBA.

Live aboards aren't the same as cruises, where cruises often offer dive excursions and live aboards are only dive excursions. (That was more for the less experienced on the list).