[Sportsandrec] A question for you all

Holly Scott-Gardner holly.lsg at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Jul 5 13:38:57 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm from the UK, but I think this is something you'd all potentially be
interested in. I'm going on a camp for blind students this summer, it's
called ICC and mainly atracts European students but I know it's open to
people from across the world. They do a lot of tech workshops as that's
what it was traditionally based around but they've expanded the program
to include sports workshops and other interests.

When participants signed up we weren't told that there were two lists of
workshops, one for the totally blind and another for students with more
vision. I can understand recommending certain workshops to people as
some students will be using screen readers and others will be
magnification users so that makes sense, but I'm concerned that they're
also making this distinction when it comes down to vocational workshops.

One of my friends was going to sign up to a self-defence workshop.
Another friend of ours is going and she asked if they would want to do
it together. But the other friend, who is totally blind said she
couldn't find that workshop on the online list. When they questioned the
organisers they found out that self-defence is only open to participants
who have more vision, not those who are totally blind.

This is really bothering us, the friend who has been told she can't do
the workshop is a fencer and I do judo, it's not like we don't do
sports. But my biggest concern is the attitude of the organisers,
they're basically saying that people with the least vision are incapable
of learning these skills. How are students meant to come away with a
positive attitude if they are being told that because they are blind
their potential is automatically lower? They are allowing us to do
sports, like goalball, they see as specifically for the blind but not
ones that we could adapt and would find interesting anyway.

I was wondering what you guys think, sorry for the very long email! I
also sent it to this list because it's an access issue around sport, but
if you think another list would benefit from seeing it let me know.

Holly