[Sportsandrec] Fitness questions

Bill Kociaba williamkociaba at comcast.net
Mon Feb 3 10:22:09 UTC 2014

Hi Jay,
First I can't help with the pedomoter.  I have purchased a few and wasn't
impressed with any of them.
Re your other questions you leave a lot of things on the table.  I mean the
questions are pretty general so they are hard to answer. How hard is still
too easy?  that totally depends on your health level of fitness and your
goals.  I mean if you just want to be in better shape virtually anything you
do will help but if you want to get in great shape get bigger or leaner or
stronger than you have to push yourself much harder.
how much of and how many exercises all depends on what kind of exercises you
choose and again your goals.
You can get a great workout that will stimulate virtually every muscle in
your body with just two or three movements.  For example squats with
weight(free weight not a machine)are a leg movement but in reality they work
your thighs, calves, butt and hips, abs, lower and even upper back as well
as stimulating your cardio vascular system. Pretty much the only thing they
don't do much for is your arms.
And if you throw in pullups and a few pushups you have hit every muscle
there is.  But on the other hand if you choose to use machines you have to
do a much larger number of movements as the machines work specific muscles
with very little carry over to the rest of your body.

re commercial gyms, marking the cardio equiptment is about all you really
can do. Otherwise just go in at a time when the place is quiet and learn to
feel your way around.
If you want to go into more specifics about a program or your goals etc feel
free to contact me directly at williamkociaba at comcast.net
Bill