[Sportsandrec] (no subject)

saber.smith82 at gmail.com saber.smith82 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 15:53:15 UTC 2015

On 8/30/2015 10:36 AM, Ashley Bramlett via Sportsandrec wrote:
> kyle,
> your message was blank.
>
> -----Original Message----- From: kyle smith via Sportsandrec
> Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2015 10:41 AM
> To: Sports and Recreation for the Blind Discussion List
> Cc: kyle smith
> Subject: Re: [Sportsandrec] Brazilian Jujitsu
>
> On 8/30/2015 9:26 AM, Idrees Crawley via Sportsandrec wrote:
>> Hello everyone. I study Gracie Jiu-Jitsu down here in Florida. From
>> my experience there is a big difference between GJJ and BJJ. The
>> Gracie Schools that I have attended have been more professional,
>> patient, and have an actual curriculum. They have also seemed more
>> prepared to teach not only blind students but individuals with many
>> other disabilities as well. The BJJ Schools that I started out with
>> did not really have a curriculum. They were more competition and
>> tournament centered. They were teaching techniques in completely
>> random order and having you spar live far sooner than you should.
>> Many of the instructors did not even have a certification to teach
>> the art, just either had a black belt or a black belt with some
>> competition experience. It seemed more like they were here to make a
>> quick buck off of the popularity of the sport. You don't need a big
>> Academy or popular names to get quality training, keep this in mind.
>> The smaller camps are often the better ones because you get a more
>> personalized experience. This is in no way meant to bash anyone
>> training at a BJJ school, just to warn people before joining any old
>> Academy. Do your research on the instructors and take your free intro
>> class or free month of instruction before deciding on if it is a
>> right fit for you. I am also looking to network with other people
>> that are teaching and or studying GJJ/BJJ or any other grappling arts
>> such as judo, wrestling and Sambo. I am working on getting my
>> certification to teach the art so I can work on opening up my own
>> school sometime in the next two years.
>>
>> Take care.
>>
>> Idrees Saadiq Crawley
>>
>>> On Aug 27, 2015, at 10:34 PM, Marana weber via Sportsandrec
>>> <sportsandrec at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Heidi. My coach is a black belt in both Judo and BJJ and we
>>> are here in the Central Valley if anyone is looking for an academy
>>> in this area. We have a great team with 4 UFC fighters who train out
>>> of there. My blind black belt friend is Bill Tetsch and he owns Leon
>>> Jiu Jitsu in Los Alamitos, Ca. Looking forward to connecting.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Sorry about that, I do not know what happened there. Anyway, what I
wastrying to say is I want to learn as much about Brazilian Jujitsu as I
can.

The current school I am in now is a kung Fu martial arts form, but that
is no longer suiting my needs on all levels, more to the point it is
where my now resting wife, went.

Alongside me, and I cannot stay there it is too much pain for one man to
take on.

And I’m really wanting to switch to something else, that would be more
blind friendly, as well the staff have some idea how to deal with blind
students, as this one is having to learn as it goes.