[Sportsandrec] Running

Ryan Carsey giants.carsey at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 20:28:09 UTC 2015

Hi

Congradulations on beginning distance running!

Firstly, you are on the right track in focusing on carbs. Carbs
provide you with the energy and glucose stores you need as a distance
runner. However, you can eat more foods besides pastas. In fact, it is
recommended that distance runners eat foods that are lower on the
glycemic index, because foods such as pasta and bread cause the sugar
levels in blood to spike rapidly. This is needed in extremely long
races, however you need to eat foods that take longer to increase your
glycogen levels and that are better at being stored during training
and in the time before a race. These can include low fiber cereals, a
number of vegetables, crackers, yogurt, and a number of others.

Secondly, as has been said your speed training will depend on what
distance you want to run. 5 K races can incorporate anything from
quarter to half mile splits at a relatively hard pace, to mile or 1.5
mile splits at or around your goal 5 K pace. Half marathon, Marathon,
or ultra marathon speed workouts go on for miles at a time, to
extremes that a recreational 5 K runner would find daunting. And no
matter what distance, it doesn't hurt to throw in some striders or
sprints every once in a while, even if you hate them as much as I do.

Hope this helps.

Ryan Carsey