[Sportsandrec] Tandom biking

Kelly Thornbury kthornbury at bresnan.net
Tue Jun 9 03:13:58 UTC 2015

Minh,

Start by searching out your local bike clubs; don't know where you are but there may also be a tandem club in your area (they're popular on the coasts, not so much in Wyoming). There is a resource for pairing sighted captains and blind stokers, but someone else will have to chime in with the website as I am old and forgetful. Also, check out www.bikeforums.net there is a tandem forum that may be able to help.

As for bikes, I've found that having my own increases the prospects of finding captains (who may have never ridden a tandem before). You can go for a few hundred to over $12k for a bike. I suggest if you are going to purchase your own to watch for used tandems... local paper, Craig's List, eBay maybe but not my personal favorite. Be sure you can get a decent test ride, stoker comfort is very important. If you have a dedicated captain in mind, try to test ride together and look for the best fit for both of you. Watch the classifieds, usually about $1k will get you a nice bike, and unless you find the rare "well used/abused" tandem by a multi-thousand mile team, most bikes you find will be low miles and probably in need of a little TLC from lack of use.

Best