[Sportsandrec] Want to ride tandem?

Ron Burzese rrburzese at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 19:49:19 UTC 2015

Hello Minh,

The app I am using is called Cyclemeter, in the app store. I used the free version, for a while, then went with the paid version, for $5 per year. It works well with voiceover and gives a lot of information. I can even set it up to give my pedal speed, or cadence and maybe even, heartrate. I have not looked into the other sensors for those options. You can also use it for walking or running, I suppose. The calorie consumption estimation is based on your height and weight, as in the Health app, already on your phone. They make holders, to clip the phone to your handlebars, but I just carry it in my jersey pocket, then look at my stats, when we are stopped.

The travel tandem is made in Oregon, by Bike Friday. It rides on smaller wheels, for an easier fit into a suitcase. However, your riding position is the same as if you were on a full-size bike. I can ride with a group and forget that I’m on a travel tandem. The frame unbolts and breaks into thirds. The seats and handlebars telescope into the frame, compacting into two large suitcases. I now have the ones from the company, but have used thrift-store specials in the past.

Tandems draw a lot of attention, anyway, but the smaller wheels, do so more. It can be a real conversation starter. I had two female pilots, who resisted riding it with me, at first. Once I convinced them, they loved it! Mine has 27 speeds, dropped handlebars, and fast tires, like any road tandem.

I flew to Tampa a few years ago, to visit family. I was able to put the two cases on my luggage dolly, along with my clothes, in a duffle bag. I put my laptop in a backpack, under the seat in front of me, with the duffle, in the overhead compartment. I was able to take the bus, to the airport, independently and not be charged additionally for the bike. That was liberating! I rode it with my 9-year-old niece, up front, my sister, brother, 70-year-old Bible college professor, and a lady I met on the internet. I put about 350 miles on it, while I was there.

It may sound extravagant to bring your own tandem, but it makes perfect sense to me. Tandems are expensive to rent and do not have the capability to fit a variety of captains. Because of the telescoping seatposts, they can fit a variety of both pilots and stokers, or tailgunners. I prefer the latter term, for the rear rider. Rear Admiral, is even better.

Regards,

Sacramento Ron