[Sportsandrec] Any blind downhill skiers on the list? I'd like to talk about 2 way radios.

Ginny Duff duffg at stjoe.on.ca
Sun Nov 22 15:55:12 UTC 2015

I've been using a two way hands free radio system by Eartec - Simultalk
24G .   I works reasonably well but the battery life is shorter than my
ski day, so I change batteries at lunch.   The system seems a bit
fragile and I have ended up buying extra systems over the years so that
I am not left stranded if one breaks down.

I am wondering if anyone has any other two way hands free radio system
that they are happier with.

Ginny

Dr. V. Duff
Clinical Director, West End ACT Team,
St. Joseph's Heatlh Centre , Toronto
Staff Psychiatrist, Complex Mental Illness, CAMH
Lecturer, University of Toronto
Tel:   416.530.6000, ext 3101
FAX:   416.530.6363

Sent from my iPad

<sportsandrec at nfbnet.org> wrote:

> Hello Minh,
>
> The app I am using is called Cyclemeter, in the app store. I used the
free version, for a while, then went with the paid version, for $5 per
year. It works well with voiceover and gives a lot of information. I can
even set it up to give my pedal speed, or cadence and maybe even,
heartrate. I have not looked into the other sensors for those options.
You can also use it for walking or running, I suppose. The calorie
consumption estimation is based on your height and weight, as in the
Health app, already on your phone. They make holders, to clip the phone
to your handlebars, but I just carry it in my jersey pocket, then look
at my stats, when we are stopped.

> The travel tandem is made in Oregon, by Bike Friday. It rides on
smaller wheels, for an easier fit into a suitcase. However, your riding
position is the same as if you were on a full-size bike. I can ride with
a group and forget that I’m on a travel tandem. The frame unbolts and
breaks into thirds. The seats and handlebars telescope into the frame,
compacting into two large suitcases. I now have the ones from the
company, but have used thrift-store specials in the past.

> Tandems draw a lot of attention, anyway, but the smaller wheels, do so
more. It can be a real conversation starter. I had two female pilots,
who resisted riding it with me, at first. Once I convinced them, they
loved it! Mine has 27 speeds, dropped handlebars, and fast tires, like
any road tandem.

> I flew to Tampa a few years ago, to visit family. I was able to put
the two cases on my luggage dolly, along with my clothes, in a duffle
bag. I put my laptop in a backpack, under the seat in front of me, with
the duffle, in the overhead compartment. I was able to take the bus, to
the airport, independently and not be charged additionally for the bike.
That was liberating! I rode it with my 9-year-old niece, up front, my
sister, brother, 70-year-old Bible college professor, and a lady I met
on the internet. I put about 350 miles on it, while I was there.

> It may sound extravagant to bring your own tandem, but it makes
perfect sense to me. Tandems are expensive to rent and do not have the
capability to fit a variety of captains. Because of the telescoping
seatposts, they can fit a variety of both pilots and stokers, or
tailgunners. I prefer the latter term, for the rear rider. Rear Admiral,
is even better.