[Sportsandrec] talking heart rate monitors

Audrey T. Farnum atfarnum at icloud.com
Mon Sep 28 02:03:07 UTC 2015

I don't know specifically about heart rate monitors, but I'm a rower and
I think this might work. I just started using an app called Crew Nerd. I
am using it primarily because I wanted to get stroke rate and 500m
splits in the boat, but it does have the ability to give heart rate info
from a bluetooth chest strap. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how
accurate it is. I can tell you that the app works well with VoiceOver
and the speech settings are very customizable. You can have it announce
as much or as little as you want, you can control the speech rate and
you can select the frequency of announcements. It stores all your data
and you can download it later. I haven't tried that yet either. I have
used a couple of water resistant bluetooth headsets in the boat for
listening to the app. I have an LG Tone HBS 300 and a Soul Republic
Shadow. The LG is mor comfortable and stays in place better. It's also
only about $45 versus $100 for the Shadow, so if I do flip a boat and
kill a headset, it's cheaper to replace. The 300 is an older model of
the tone. I have a 320 that never worked right with Voiceover. I haven't
used the most current model of the LG Tone, so I can't say how well it
works. I got a waterproof bag for my phone. It has a velcro arm strap
that I use to secure my phone to the rigger. Several of my sighted
teammates use this app as well and I have seen phones in waterproof bags
survive boat flips and other incidents that caused their iPhones to go
for a swim. One of the guys on my team forgot to secure his phone to the
rigger and just had his phone down in the boat by his foot stretchers.
At some point, the phone fell out of the boat. It was found hours later
floating along the shore. The phone was fine. Anyway, it's not
specifically a talking heart rate monitor, but it is a possible solution
that has the added benefit of giving you an accessible stroke coach as
well. Here is a link to the app:

link
CrewNerd by Performance Phones, LLC
https://appsto.re/us/FFRws.i

And here is the developer website. They have a lot of info on the site
about heart rate monitors and waterproof cases that they recommend.

http://performancephones.com/crewnerd/

And here is the waterproof case I am using:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01070KLCO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

HTH.

Audrey T. Farnum