[Sportsandrec] Tandom biking

Ron Burzese rrburzese at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 13:11:03 UTC 2016

Hello Minh and all,

How did I miss this post? Tandem cycling is my favorite activity.

Some resources for you to consider are the U.S. Blind Tandem Cycling Connection: http://bicyclingblind.org <http://bicyclingblind.org/> and the Blind Stokers’ Club, http://blindstokersclub.org <http://blindstokersclub.org/>

Both are free to use. For the first, you set up a profile, then once in the database, you can click on the button that says, “Find a Captain”. You can send private messages to those in your area. Where I live, there are about seven pilots, within a 15 mile radius of my place. For the second site, you give them your information, and they try to find pilots for you. I’ve met some good people that way as well.

Another resource, by email is: blind_cycling-subscribe at yahoogroups.com <mailto:blind_cycling-subscribe at yahoogroups.com> Click on that link and reply to the yahoo email and you are in. It is a list for blind cyclists to discuss everything related to cycling. I especially enjoy the ride reports!

Regarding finding a tandem of your own, it is the best way to find pilots, because you can start with your immediate social circle. I often use craigslist to find tandem bicycles. I set up an alert, so I can keep watch for what is out there, as soon as it is posted. Good brands that offer bang for the buck are Raleigh, KHS, and Motiv. I’ve seen them for as low as $150. Do you have the space, indoors to keep one? If you keep it outdoors, it will depreciate rapidly.

Another incredible resource is networking with your local bike club, not tandem club. Bike clubs will usually have members with tandems, willing to share the ride.

If I can be of further assistance, feel free to write me off line.

Let the good times roll,

Sacramento Ron