[Sportsandrec] {Spam?} RE: question about other sports

Audrey Farnum atfarnum at icloud.com
Thu Jun 16 17:23:30 UTC 2016

Good point about yard games. I've played croquet with people tapping wickets and giving other audible cues. I wasn't great at it, but the point was that I tried and I was participating in a group activity with friends and having fun.

You just have to be willing to try and have the right attitude about it: If people like you, they'll like helping you do things that aren't ideal to blind people. For instance, I mostly row in 2, 4 or 8 person boats where my blindness doesn't matter at all. However, you learn a lot about how to row by going out in a single and just figuring stuff out.  The problem with me rowing singles is of course that I can't see to steer the boat and the river where I row has other boat traffic and bridges to navigate around.When I do go out in a single, one of my teammates rows beside me and gives me steering cues or they will drive a coaching launch to give directions from. I have used the latter method to race in regattas. All of my teammates genuinely enjoy helping me row singles. The 2 times that I raced a single was because the team wanted me to do it and did what they could to make it happen. Everyone on the team loves to row and we enjoy helping others enjoy the sport too. I frequently row in boats with rowers who have less experience. Even though the boat may not be as balanced or smooth because of the novice in the boat, I never mind because I know the value of learning by being with better rowers. I enjoy helping less experienced rowers get better so that they will love the sport as much as I do.  My willingness to help novice rowers leads to others being willing to help me row a single. For me, finding a sport I love and good people to enjoy it with is the key to sports as a blind person.

Audrey T. Farnum
Sent from my iPhone