[Sportsandrec] I would like to hear from anyone out there who is a lifeguard.

Jessica Beecham Jessica at wefitwellness.com
Thu May 5 14:47:57 UTC 2016

I think it would be difficult to make the argument that a blind person should be guarding a large crowded pool.  There is so much you have to see. Some of it could be determined auditorium like kids running when they are not supposed to etc... I think it would be difficult to identify when a person is in distress and where in the open pool they are located.

I do think that a person could get certified as a lifeguard and then teach swim lessons or monitor a water slide at a water park. In those instances the person has much more knowledge and control of exactly what is going on in the pool and where people are located.

These are just thoughts. I have been around the water a lot but have not been a lifeguard so I may be missing some alternative techniques that would make it work. I never say never but I would say that in this situation, it is the blind persons very real responsibility to pick another career path if they even feel the slightest doubt in their ability to competently perform the tasks needed for the job.

Sent from Outlook Mobile<https://aka.ms/djubve>