[Sportsandrec] I would like to hear from anyone out there who is a lifeguard.

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Thu May 5 01:27:11 UTC 2016

Good evening Robert and everyone,

     This may depend on the facility in which the blind lifeguard works.
There are some areas where a single lifeguard supervises swimmers but
others such as municipal pools and water parks have groups of lifeguards
supervising swimmers and those availing themselves of water park
attractions.

     There's an incident where one of the blind students attending BLIND
Inc's summer program drowned when on a swimming outing. A sighted
lifeguard was on duty and was obviously not paying attention and
spotting swimmers in trouble. It was the BLIND InC. staff that found the
student but it was already too late. If blind persons can supervise
water activities when students attending NFB training centers
participate in them as well as in other settings there should be no
reason why a blind person couldn't work as a lifeguard. Hope this helps.

Peter Donahue