[Sportsandrec] We did it, we ran the NYC Marathon

Gaston Bedard gasbedard at videotron.ca
Fri Nov 18 11:54:24 UTC 2016

Thank you everyone.
I began my running comeback as a def blind runner in December 2008, it took
me 4 years of training before running a 5 km with a sighted guide.
I am totally blind, deaf and 64 years young.
The NYC Marathon was my 3rd full marathon as a deaf blind runner.
You may consider joining Achilles, I'd be happy to connect you with the
folks at Achilles.
Email: gasbedard at videotron.ca.

I ran NYC with 3 sighted guides.
Here below, you will find Laurence's experiences in NYC.
 Gaston

Hi Team Gaston;

At the  start a very special moment happened as Achilles athletes left the
waiting area we were greeted by ovations from other runners waiting for the
next wave. We were placed at the end of wave 1. A stirring rendition of the
Star Spangled Banner and a very loud Howitzer that even made Gaston jump.
Nervous anticipation peeked and soon we were crossing the Verrazano bridge.
The first 5km were a quiet comfortable run. At 5km we were caught by the 2nd
wave and the merging of the course.
We are now fully surrounded by 51,000 runners on the biggest marathon ever.
But the fun had really just begun. It truly is a big street party and
Achilles athletes received lots of encouragement not only from the 1 million
spectators but from other runners who wished us the best.
Wearing the bright Achilles tech shirt and my Canada Buff made me easy to
spot and 2 long time runners from the Running Room Brian Bax and Christine
Murray. Very cool to see friends amongst the crowd.

Those long hot summer runs were forgotten as we had a pretty good headwind
most of the way. My strongest memory is of First Avenue. After 3 boroughs
and the Queensboro Bridge, Manhattan is finally here. But we are far from
finished. The biggest and loudest crowd roars and we are picked up.

Thanks for the great memories and what a great team. Addy, Michel, Mark and
of course Gaston.
Thanks for a weekend I will never forget.

Laurence