[Sportsandrec] Slow twitch muscle fibers

Kelly Thornbury kthornbury at bresnan.net
Sun Feb 26 15:38:30 UTC 2017

Sorry, but what you felt has nothing to do with slow twitch muscle fiber. The only difference between a slow twitch fiber and a fast twitch fiber is the number of Z bands (contractual units) and mitochondria… The slow twitch fiber, which is generally an endurance muscle fiber, has fewer of the Z bands (less strength) and more mitochondria (able to do more aerobic respiration).

When you are doing any exercise, like your squats for example, you are engaging both sets of muscle fibers… They are not exclusive.

There are some great books worth reading on Learning Ally by the American College of sports medicine (ACSM) on exercise physiology.

Kellee

Sent from my iPhone