[Sportsandrec] Finding motivation

Ron Burzese rrburzese at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 12:33:35 UTC 2017

Hello Rachel,

I, too, am in a similar position of coming back from a long period of not being as active. I’ve gained 25 pounds, since I was at the top of my game.

This year, I rode my trainer for five days, straight, one hour at a time. Then, I rearranged my living room and could not find a good place for the bike, fan, and sound system. After a month of something different, I moved it all back, with some improvements.

I’m back on my bike and it feels good! I rode it Saturday, Mon, & Wed. I am going to ride it today, then take the weekend off. Every other day is giving me those rest days, since I’m back near square one. I like the bike, because it is more of a gliding, rather than a pounding motion. There is not the constant changing of direction, so injury is reduced. With extra weight on my frame, I want to reduce shock and chance of injury. I also walk wherever I can. I recently switched to a church that is thirteen blocks closer, which does not help, but the music is much better. It is hard not to accept rides from people, because I need that one-on-one fellowship time. I found myself isolating, because I was always wanting to get the exercise and prove my independence to others, as well as myself. Five or ten minutes, in someone’s car can be valuable time to get to know a new friend. Still, a healthy social life is part of the motivation.

I can say this. After three consecutive workouts, with rest days in between, I already feel better! What does that mean? I feel my metabolism increasing, along with the endorphin highs. Psychologically, I already feel that my core is warmer and tighter. Isn’t that what we are looking for to motivate us? I have to be my own cheerleader and best friend and support myself. Of course, we all support you, as well. Also, talking with people who have health issues, resulting from inactivity motivates me as well.

So pick yourself up, set some easy goals, and go do it, before your body realizes what you are doing. I told myself, every other day, which would have deterred me, when I was fit. Now, I am telling myself to be cool and not go too hard, too soon and then burn out. So I chill, till the next episode.

Get your game on, go play,

Sacramento Ron

Songs quoted are by maybe Snoop Dog and