[SportsandRec] Accessible stationary bikes

Kelly Thornbury kthornbury at bresnan.net
Thu Dec 19 13:22:36 UTC 2019

I went with a Wahoo KICKR, available online or through any of the large cycling stores. You supply your own bike, but in my opinion this is far superior for getting the best fit. It’s one of those trainers that lock to your back wheel. This one is controlled by an app on your iPhone for resistance. The app allows you to set a specific resistance, writing at a certain power output, intervals, and a host of other training parameters. The unit measures power output, and you can get an additional heart rate monitor to track that as well. The software is open source, and there are a number of third-party apps that will let you customize workouts or even ride specific routes around the world using GPX files. Want to train on a specific route in your community, you can first drive the route with the GPS, upload it to the phone, and train on it in your Wahoo. The trainer will adjust resistance based on any elevation changes on the route, based on your body and bike weight and type of bike parameters. Think basic models are now around $500, in my opinion overall cheaper than a high-end exercise bike, with great adjustability and numerous ride options.