[SportsandRec] Accessible stationary bikes

Ron Burzese rrburzese at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 17:12:19 UTC 2019

Hi Kelly,

Always good to hear from you.

I’d love to get the Kick’r someday, so I could ride the race course we used to race in Austin. We’d do 27 miles in 1:05, or so.

I’m totally blind and using a Kinetic Rock’n Roll fluid trainer, which lets the bike sway under you. I have to keep my balance while I ride. The fluid resistance unit does not adjust automatically, but will fight you harder as you push harder. It has an 18 pound flywheel.

I have the Kinetic In Ride sensor, which estimates cadence, power-output, calories, zones, and even heartrate, if I get a monitor. All are read by voice over on my iPhone.

My trainer retailed for about $650, but I got mine on Craigslist for $180, in excellent condition. My bike was $1650 new, but I got it used and upgraded for $800. It’s a Specialized Allez Comp, with SRAM components. I use 24MM rims with 23MM tires, which help the rear tire grip the roller of the resistance unit. I use clipless pedals and the bike’s bottle cages for water bottles. I also have a sweat net, which has two pockets. One for my phone and the other for the remote to my sound system, or my old phone, as my audio slave. I always use a fan to blow across my core or arms, to regulate my temperature.

Gonna ride it for an hour today! I want to impeach my extra weight that I’ve gained over the years. I’ve discovered that walking six miles each day does not help me lose weight, like cycling.

Blessings,

Sacramento Ron