[Sportsandrec] horse back riding

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 4 16:53:11 UTC 2019

Hello Jodi,

I hope you saw the last email  I wrote. I'm not into horse back riding. I do not even know any vision impaired people who are. I have some usable tunnel vision but I'd be afraid to use vision to steer a horse. I generally like indoor recreation activities and work out. That is admirable of you to ride horses. They take a while to train.

I have some ideas I'll share and some of this is a repeat from last email.

It will help us brainstorm if you tell us what age range you need. There are many more camps for visually impaired school age students than adults. What location do you want?
Unfortunately, I do not know of any camp only for horseback riders, but there are many camps focusing on outdoor recreation such as hiking, biking, canoeing, and swimming. Hopefully, one of these meets your needs.

Additionally, contact the national organization promoting sports for the blind, US association of blind athletes. They are found at www.usaba.org. They may have ideas.

Some camps to try:

1. Leader Dogs camp
This is in June this  year; Focus on outdoor activities such as navigation with GPS, swimming, beep ball and rock climbing.
This camp is for teens though. So your age definitely matters as to what camp you can attend.
They also introduce guide dogs to campers who do not have one.

www.leaderdog.org/programs/summer-experience-camp/

2. Camp Tushmeta
In Michigan; its a 300 acre camp ground with many outdoor activities and hope one is horsebackriding. I know a participant of it and she said they have swimming, canoeing, and games.

3. Beacon lodge camp
They have 2 or 3 sessions for the vision impaired population. They have hiking and biking there and wilderness adventures. I don't know of horses though.
With 500 acres of land they have, I'm sure there is plenty to do.

www.beaconlodge.com

4. Highbrook lodge
Camp run by Cleveland sight center

5. Maryland school for the blind
Has a camp at its school campus although being a short camp in MD I doubt they have horse back riding but IMO worth asking about.

I hope this helps.
If you provide more information about what you are seeking, we might be able to help more.

I think since you already are experienced, a general camp with other riders may also work. You can just talk to them about your accommodation needs ahead of time.

This list is quiet but hope others will chime in soon!

HTH,
Ashley