[SportsandRec] Adult swim lessons

Kelsey Nicolay piano.girl0299 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 21:38:51 UTC 2021

Hello,
We have a large waterpark at our campground that we will be spending most of the summer at with my nieces and nephew ages 5, 3, and 1. While I know I cannot take all three of them there by myself (not because I’m alind, but they’re wild and crazy and I don’t have the patience to chase them everywhere), but I at least want to be able to swim with them for a short time if need be. There is also an obstacle course in the deep end that one of the requirements is you have to be able to swim to do it. My family doesn’t think it’s safe for me to do the obstacle course because according to them, you have to have vision and be able to swim. I know how to swim a little bit, but I’m not good enough at it to be able to get out of a dangerous situation. Therefore, I have considered signing up for adult swimming lessons to increase my skills. My hope is that if I can prove that I can swim safely, I can tackle that obstacle course and prove my family wrong. I found a few places locally that offers swim lessons, one private pool (I swam there as a child and also took swim lessons there) and two which are owned by the city. All three places offer both group and private lessons, but private lessons are considerably more expensive than a group class. I do plan to contact all three places to see if they can accommodate my situation, but my questions to you all are the following: (1) Is it possible for a blind person to participate in group swim lessons or would private lessons be better given my limited experience? (2) I believe city owned facilities are required to provide reasonable accommodations, but what about pools owned by private associations? (3) What types of accommodations would enable me to fully participate in swim class, group or private? I look forward to hearing your suggestions.
Sent from Kelsey Nicolay’s iPhone