[SportsandRec] staying fit in the winter and your favorite winter sportor rec activity

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 12 22:29:33 UTC 2023

Hi all,

Winter is coming in a month in November. In some areas of the country, the
wind, wet air, andcloudy days and colder temperatures may make it seem
winter is here already.

VA seems to be experiencing some winter like days now although its going to
hit over 70 degrees in a few days.

We all can stay fit inside by doing aerobic activities on stationary bikes,
treadmills, indoor tracks if you have someone to be a guide, or even hiring
a personal trainer if you can afford that.

What about outdoor activities though?

Personally, I'm not a fan of outside recreation in the winter except for
recreational sledding with a guide who can guide me back up the hill we sled
on or throwing snowballs with my nieces or nephews.

I've enjoyed sledding but starting sledding can be sort of scary. But once I
get a feel for the sled, it goes okay.

I am not into the cold weather and find it a hassle to bundle up in
protective clothes and gear like heavy gloves and boots to prevent
frostbite.

However, I know others have tried outside sports and I have not ruled it out
to do as a recreation activity.

I'd like to know what is your sport activity for winter if you have one? Ice
skating, skiing, and ice hockey come to mind.

Where do you do the sport? If you have a guide who did the guiding?

Here is what I did for an outdoor recreation activity.

I have not done it in a long time as I don't feel I'm balanced enough.

But, I did participate in recreational ice skating when I was a kid and
younger adult.

I had a sighted guide doing it. I have low vision and at small rinks,
sometimes I skated slowly next to the wall using things on the wall as
visual landmarks.

I had fun skating outside at a few resorts and also used a sighted guide for
that.

Have you participated in any adaptive programs and how did that go? I know
about adaptive skiing in some places like Vermont.

Basketball and volleyball are popular indoor sports. Anyone done that?

I know there is blind ice hocky available and there is even a small team
near me but I do not have the balance to do ice hockey.

Finally, do you want to share with a small NFB chapter any fitness tips such
as audio workouts you have found or your story of winter sports? If you want
to share, please contact me because my NFB chapter is seeking a speaker or
two about winter and staying fit especially in winter months.

Thanks.

Ashley