[SportsandRec] discussion about tandem biking follow up

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 16 05:38:43 UTC 2024

Hello all,

Months ago we had a good and long zoom discussion about tandem biking. Ron
was the speaker and was generous and answered tons of questions.

Can someone share that recording? I'd like to listen again.

Ron, thanks for answering my questions on this list about attire for biking.

In recent years, I've exercised alone on indoor bikes if I use a bike. I had
experience with tandems when I was younger growing up.

I am not sure I would like tandem cycling; I would think you'd have to match
your driver's speed and rhythm. I do not know how much control you have as a
stoker.

I have some stable vision and have thought that maybe riding a adult trike
with a guide in front of me might be a better fit because I would be
controlling the pace and I also think it would be easier to get on a trike
and with three wheels the trike is just more stable as I mount it.

The guide could be riding in front of me or even beside me on a bike trail
if there is room for both of us and give me verbal cues and directions for
things I do not see since I have just central vision.

It might be worth trying tandeming though if I can find an experienced rider
willing to volunteer and share their tandem.

A few other questions.

If you go tandem cycling, do  you have a way to track things like your
distance and speed you are going? I think the word I mean is cadence.

I know there are gadgets out there to clip on to the bike, but they do not
have speech output.

Do you carry items with you and if so, is that in some sort of basket
attached to your bike? If riding outside, it seems to me you would need some
things for the ride especially if its longer than say 30 minutes.

A water supply is the first thing that comes to mind. Also, maybe snack food
and an extra jacket might be needed if cooler weather or if changing
temperatures are expected.

Thanks,

Ashley