[stylist] A New Member

John Lee Clark johnlee at clarktouch.com
Thu Dec 25 17:36:32 UTC 2008

Judy:

Hey, I would love to read your book!  I'm curious what you are thinking of
as your options for publishing it.

Yes, I read in Braille.  I learned Braille when I was seven.  Although I was
not even legally blind then and did not keep reading Braille on my own, this
early exposure must've made picking it up again at thirteen a most smooth
experience for me.

As for grants, what I was referring to are individual grant for artists that
arts organizations and state arts programs confer to the winners from a pool
of applicants in various categories.  Most often, the grants come with
virtually no strings attached, and you can just say it helps you to take
time off from work to focus on your project.  In other words, you can buy
food with it, pay the rent, pay off debts, buy a nice winter coat to replace
your old rags, whatever.  Some use it for travel, to stay in a Spanish villa
for a month, or to pay for registration at a conference or workshop.  Some
use the money to buy new computers and supplies.  Minnesota happens to be
the state with the second highest number of grants and value in dollars for
individual artists.  The first is New York.  But most states should have at
least two grants you could apply for: The state's council, board, whatever
for the arts and the local chapter of VSA arts.

Fellowships are similar but tend to mean a lot more money.  Grants range
from one to ten thousand dollars.  Fellowships are a full year's income,
ranging from twenty five grand to two hundred fifty--the latter is at the
very top, the MacArthur "Genius" fellowships that pay half a million dollars
for two-year fellowships.  Those are given to bestselling authors or winners
of the Pulitzer Prize.  Thus, grants are usually for what they call
"emerging" writers, those who have published from zero to two books.  Then
the lower rungs of the fellowship world are for those beginning to establish
their reputations after three books.

Anyway, that's what I was talking about.  Now, for the type of grant you are
thinking about, I am no expert.  However, I've done work in nonprofit
fundraising, and most healthy nonprofit organizations get eighty percent of
their raised funds from private donations, fifteen percent from grants, and
five from corporate donations or sponsorships.  You can tell right off that
an organization is misguided or in bad shape if most of its money are from
grants.  So if you want to set up a new program, I would advise that you
look into fundraising instead of grants.  Further, it would be wise to set
up a foundation or trust account, so that the donations you get won't
vaporize.  What's the point of working hard to get donations only to blow
them away almost instantly?  The motto is also that you are not raising
funds, but friends.  Make friends, maintain friendships above all, and the
money will come naturally.  Send thank-you notes, add them on the mailing
list for the newsletter, organize an annual event geared specifically for
your cause's supporters and friends.  Contract with someone with a
certificate from the Association of Professional Fundraisers.  Those people
know what they're doing.

Just some thoughts!

John