[stylist] A New Member

John Lee Clark johnlee at clarktouch.com
Sat Dec 27 06:42:25 UTC 2008

Angela:

Oh, but it was her fault.  Sure, she was operating under influences and
forces of her times, but there was still a choice.  There were already
independent deafblind people before she was even born, who insisted on being
treated as ordinary, nothing more, nothing less.  Keller was exposed to
their sentiments when she participated in the deafblind community, which in
those days of slow travel existed mainly via correspondence and circulars.
For a while as a young woman, she followed the example of her deafblind
"Uncle Morrie" and others.  When Andrew Carnegie offered to set up a trust
for her and send money to her on a monthly basis, Keller turned him down.
She wanted to be independent and earn her own living.

But for a number of reasons, she changed her mind and compromised on the
values of the deafblind community.  She wanted to keep her full-time
companion and wanted to pursue her writing, so she came back to Carnegie and
asked if the offer was still on.  She then went off on that tagent in her
life from there, and grew increasingly estranged from the deafblind
community.  She would later polarize the blind community as well.  She made
a choice.  She bought into the deal society was offering her.  She went on
vaudeville tours.  She accepted undue praise everywhere she went,
reinforcing again and again that deafblind people and blind people aren't
"supposed" to be successful.  You understand, her accepting unwarranted
exaltion devalued the efforts of everybody else, with the result that
society either looks down its long nose at you or, when it is impossible to
ignore the facts of some achievements, hold you way up there in the clouds
of sainthood.

Anyway, Helen Keller was torn inside all her life, torn between selling more
of herself and having a normal life.  She had ample opportunities to choose
the latter, but consistently fell for the former.  Near the end of her life,
she had been so used to allowing blindness and deafness to be the excuse for
her not having a normal life, she really believed in it.  She told a
reporter, "If I could see, I would marry first of all."  Never mind that
there were deafblind people who were married, even to a deafblind partner,
since 1785, nearly one hundred years before Keller was born.

It is astonishing, the literature about Keller written by her deafblind
contemporaries.  The stuff, because it was all written in Braille, never
shows up in the biographies.  But this is precisely why the American
Association for the Deaf-Blind doesn't have an award or anything named in
Keller's honor.  It is only the hearing and sighted people who use her name
for things.  This is also why my father, who is also deafblind, told me when
I was very young that Keller was a "bad woman."  I grew up in the deafblind
world and found deafblind people harboring a great dislike of Keller.  They
weren't always able to explain why, but they couldn't stand her.  It was
only later, after reading some biographies and some of what deafblind people
had written in old issues of their magazines, that I understood more how
Helen Keller was once one of them but then decided to be "special."  Keller
lost many friends in the deafblind world, and that's why she rarely
presented at deafblind functions and by extension deaf ones.  I have older
deafblind friends who knew her in the latter part of her life, and they tell
me she was very weak on the independence front and lacked most of the skills
they had.  When they asked her why she didn't know how to this or that, she
told them that she knew she should have learned it long ago.

But my point is that Keller herself is at fault.  Sure, you can blame this
or that on the way your parents raised you, on the trauma you suffered at
age twelve, on peer pressure, on whatever.  But it is still your full
responsibility what you end up becoming.  There were influences, but they
can't be an excuse for anything, you know?

Don't get me wrong.  Half ot eh problem is the way society responded to her
and thought of her and treated her.  But other deafblind people were under
the same conditions, having the same "You're amazing" crap fed to them, the
same forms of special treatment taking turns with discrimination, and
everything.  And let me assure you that Helen Keller wasn't the smartest
deafblind person in her day.  She wasn't the best deafblind writer.  She was
smart and a good writer, but so were other deafblind people.  The others,
some of them gained fame, but it was more in line with the merits of their
accomplishments, and the fame, quite naturally as it should, faded and they
got justifiably forgotten.  But Helen Keller made choices that created such
a disorted relationship with fame.  She began by being rightly famous, and
it should have cooled off ater the publication of her book.  But then she
sold herself to vaudeville and that led to her becoming more famous, but for
the wrong reasons.  Oh, she knew it, all right.  But it was her choice; she
compromised herself again and again.  You could say that she was like a
prostitute in this regard.

Anyway, I hope you'll share your perspective!

John