[stylist] A New Member

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Mon Dec 29 04:26:34 UTC 2008

John,
My husband's grandparents used the older ASL.  I remembered after
writing earlier that my deaf friend also taught me signs for 'good
morning, good evening, dog, baking and probably more that I don't remember.
Donna

--
For my bio & to hear clips from The Last Straw:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill

Apple I-Tunes

phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind
www.padnfb.org

John Lee Clark wrote:
> Donna:
>
> Do you know that there are a few hearing blind people who are also excellent
> ASL interpreters?  In most cases they learned because they had a deaf
> significant other.  But recently, a few blind signers learned from ASL
> classes by use of relay interpreters who simply "mirror" the teacher's
> signs, for them to follow with their hands.
>
> A different sign language?  There are two other sign languages in North
> America, one the Quebec sign language and the other the black sign language,
> which is now almost gone.  Black signs came about in the deep South, where
> whites and blacks were separated in everything.
>
> Older ASL is a bit different than today's ASL, but signers of each can
> understand the other readily.
>
> John

Database version: 5.11420