[stylist] Blind and segregation

LoriStay at aol.com LoriStay at aol.com
Wed Dec 31 19:25:54 UTC 2008

Current law (promulgated by NFB) makes Braille the default reading system for
blind students.   However, if teachers can talk parents out of wanting it for
their children, then they are not obligated to teach it.   This happened with
the daughter of a woman on Long island.   She had been convinced her daughter
would need it.   Then it was discovered the girl could see a little.   Well,
you know the rest.   Meanwhile, her best friend was totally blind, and was
taught Braille, and attended or is attending college.   The mother may not
realize her mistake, but the daughter certainly must.
Lori