[stylist] Blind and segregation

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Wed Dec 31 23:39:03 UTC 2008

Helene,
Let's be careful we don't throw the baby out with the bath water.
Segregated education often means that blind children grow up away from
their natural families -- though a benefit in some cases, I'm sure, it
is not ideal.  Since, as we discussed earlier on this thread, more and
more profoundly disabled children who happen to also be blind are in the
schools for the blind, it can limit opportunities for blind kids of
average intelligence and perpetuate the impression that they are just
like their profoundly disabled classmates.  It also gives the bigotted
sighted just what they want which is to keep us away so they don't have
to deal with or think about us.  Integrated education helps change
societal values as well as giving blind kids the experience of learning
what the non blind members of their generation are like.  It gives those
who are interested in doing so the opportunity to fight for inclusion in
group activities which include sighted kids.
Donna

--
For my bio & to hear clips from The Last Straw:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill

Apple I-Tunes

phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind
www.padnfb.org