[stylist] Blind and segregation

John Lee Clark johnlee at clarktouch.com
Wed Dec 31 22:31:23 UTC 2008

But doesn't smaller schools have a huge advantage in smaller classes and
better teacher-student ratios?  I took some classes at the local public
school, but had very little face time with the teachers, whereas the
teachers at the school for the deaf were my friends and very involved
mentors.  While this is not always utilitized, I think those schools have a
huge opportunity to provide education that is even better than in the public
schools, even decent ones.

And the quality of classroom content is almost a non-factor.  It is the
character-building of students that matter the most.  You really can't teach
kids.  Maybe you can train them.  But teach them?  No.  What happens is that
kids learn.  They are always learning--but often it's not what teachers
would like them to learn.  All people who are well-educated and can think
are primarily self-taught.

So with the kids essentially teaching themselves, or learning what they will
and just spitting out the rest, what you want to do is empower them, offer
them good resources, good relationships, and feel good about themselves,
feel respected and treated as human beings--then they'll do just fine.  They
will learn tons of stuff and REALLY learn it.

To me, this is more likely to occur in smaller schools.

Kids aren't animals.  You were once kids.  They may be treated like chattel,
or treated as pests, dismissed, but they always respond as human beings and
have human feelings.  Remember how you felt as a child when . . . ?

John