[stylist] writing about blindness

James Canaday M.A. N6YR n6yr at sunflower.com
Tue Nov 11 20:14:05 UTC 2008

Aziza,
that's one problem we're up against as blind people in this society:
very very few examples or role models in the media, the books, etc.
whether to write a character as blind or not is honestly not the
first thing on my mind because I'm more interested when I have an
idea, I want to write a story about some particular struggle, some
puzzle to be unravveled.
it is also important to remember that sometimes having a major
character who is blind makes your story harder for some readers to
get into, have the verisimilitude, because they don't experience
blindness and don't know a blind person.
so there is also a catch-22 about it.

***
personal update:
by the way I seem to be getting sicker with more of the flu-like
symptoms getting very bad: headache; other aches; stiffness;
etc.  apparently I will get worse before I get better.  last thursday
I started the once-a-week shot to treat my autoimmune
disorder.  thank you for praying if you do.
jim

Jim Canaday M.A.
Lawrence, KS