[stylist] Training blind children

Judith Bron jbron at optonline.net
Fri Oct 24 12:39:17 UTC 2008

I have a dear friend in Nebraska who is blind from birth.  She is over sixty
now but her parents sent her to a regular school while getting her braille
and mobility training after school.  She went through college, got a degree
and a teacher's license and has been a successful teacher for about forty
years.  I think it depends on the child.  I personally, to this day, hav a
difficult time learning brand new material.  Once I get the tutorinfg or
training I am as good as the next person.  Every kid is different as is
every person.  If a child is of normal intelligence, has displayed the
ability to interact with mainstream kids or has alreacdy shown a keen
interest in learning, the parents have to evaluate the situation with the
school board or whoever to make sure that their child is not cheated out of
a good education because he or she happens to be blind.  Judith