[stylist] Famous people with Deafblindness | K12 Academics

John Lee Clark johnlee at clarktouch.com
Wed Apr 1 20:55:15 UTC 2009

This is not a very good list.  Some of them weren't famous at all, but
merely well-referenced in case studies, which is a different thing.  And
there are glaring omissions.

You may be intrigued to know that the inventor of the modern adjustable
swivel chair, the thermos to keep coffee warm, and a special gate design
that is used in all of the horse farms in North America all were invented by
a deafblind man.  He also invented a nifty embosser, called the diplograph,
that could emboss THREE different types of raised letters--the Boston Type,
the Moon, and Braille--not at the same time, but you just switch a lever and
it will emboss the SAME text but in a different type without your having to
typeset all over again.  He played a key role in advancing technology at the
American Printing House for the Blind.  His name was James Morrison Heady,
1829-1915, and he wrote many books, including novels, biographies, and fine
collections of poetry.

He is one of the featured deafblind writers in the anthology I am working on
of deafblind writers.  From the list you linked, my book also includes
Richard Kinney, Robert J. Smithdas, and Hieronynus Lorm.  Though Georgia
Griffith wrote a memoir, it wasn't good enough.  My book will not include
Helen Keller at all.  I haven't decided yet, but it may include two poems by
Laura Bridgman--which had no real literary merit, but expressed a most
interesting perspective.

The worst name on the list is James Mitchell.  He was just written ab out a
lot, as an object of curiosity, but he did nothing much.  He ate, slept, and
masturbated, and that was pretty much it.  But it is true that he was famous
for a time.

John