[stylist] Doctors in the blind community

LoriStay at aol.com LoriStay at aol.com
Thu Apr 2 03:22:23 UTC 2009

Dr. tenBroek's doctorate was earned in College.   Dr. Jernigan and Dr.
Maurer's doctorates are honorary, awarded by colleges for their work with the blind
community.   Dr. tenBroek started the NFB, and gave as much if not more
service to the Blind community as the others.
All three of these men deserve their titles.   It has nothing to do with
inferiority or superiority but with service.   The titles are well deserved, and
we use them as a mark of respect.   This is not to say that many of us have not
given as much service.   Probably we have.   But that's fine.   I don't need
a Dr. in front of my name to tell me what I've accomplished.   At the same
time, I'm not going to dishonor those who have one.
I hope this doesn't become a controversy!
Lori