[stylist] Doctors in the blind community

John Lee Clark johnlee at clarktouch.com
Thu Apr 2 18:57:20 UTC 2009

Jim:

Just for your information, Martin Luther King Jr. earned a doctorate in
theology.

Again, I don't know how you all speak.  On TV, in speeches, whatever.  I
have no opinions or experience to form any opinions in this regard.

But as for Martin Luther King, I've read many articles and books on  him, on
the civil rights movement, etc.  It is only very rarely that he's referred
to as Dr. King in print.  Reading his letters, I have never read him sign
himself as Dr.  The byline of all his articles and published speeches don't
have the title at all, and certainly not on the covers of his books.

Now, about Mauer, please understand that there's no question of whether he
has done great service.  He deserves to be regarded in the highest esteem
possible.  It just so happens that my experience tells me that the way to do
this is to not use the title at all.  My experience tells me that the title
reduces one's credibility because if there'[s any titles it's to be Ph.D and
if you don't have that, using the title of Dr. without being a M.D. is
suspect and smacks of amateurism.

I don't want President Maurer to be viewed as an amateur.  We can disagree
on whether or not it makes him appear amateurish.  My opinion is that it
does, and I naturally wish to correct this problem.  But if you don't think
it cheapens his work and prestige; if you think the title enhances his
credibility, then you just defend the title, because it impresses you and it
works well for you.  I am against the title because it demeans and cheapens
a man who doesn't need any propping up.

John