[stylist] Tragic endings?

James Canaday M.A. N6YR n6yr at sunflower.com
Fri Apr 3 02:41:03 UTC 2009

helene,
whether to have a tragic ending is one of those many choices the
author must make.  tragedy can highlight the strength of a character,
the value of something/someone lost.  what are the strings you want
to tie up in the ending?  do you, as judith points out, wish to write
a sequel?  and just what would make it  tragic as an ending anyway?

do you as an author  have an interest in the "tragic ending" to
highlight a particular emotional pressure in the story?  or some
theme you wish to underscore?

does the tragic ending, by contrast,  highlight some happiness
elsewhere in the story?

you shouldn't have a tragic ending, just to have one, in my humble
opinion.  just like you shouldn't always default to a "happy ending."

some stories/books I've read, the end was not so clear anyway.  the
hero wins the proverbial battle while losing the proverbial war, for example.

jc

Jim Canaday M.A.
Lawrence, KS