[stylist] Milton on Blindness

John Lee Clark johnlee at clarktouch.com
Fri Apr 3 05:33:47 UTC 2009

Now, Stylists, what we have here is a Milton poem on blindness.  What do you
think of this?  I decided it was better to provide a slightly revised,
slightly modernized version, not Milton's verbatim.

TO MR. CYRIACK SKINNER UPON HIS BLINDNESS.

Cyriack, this three years day these eys, though clear
To outward view, of blemish or of spot;
Bereft of light thir seeing have forgot,
Nor to thir idle orbs doth sight appear
Of Sun or Moon or Starre throughout the year,
Or man or woman.  Yet I argue not
Against heavns hand or will, nor bate a jot
Of heart or hope; but still bear vp and steer
Right onward.  What supports me, dost thou ask?
The conscience, Friend, to have lost them overply'd
In libertyes defence, my noble task,
Of which all Europe talks from side to side.
This thought might lead me through the world's vain mask
Content though blind, had I no better guide.

Checked by AVG.
6:09 AM