[stylist] more info on a publisher

John Lee Clark johnlee at clarktouch.com
Sat Apr 4 18:15:16 UTC 2009

Cindy:

It's a good thought and thank you for the suggestion.

Based on the blind poets I have read so far, neither a contemporary
anthology or a definitive one would be a fit for Sarabande.  It is a nice
publisher, but better suited for single-poet collections.  The quality of a
contemporary anthology would not be that high, and a definitive one would be
a bit more academic, since it'd include old and decidedly unfresh work from
blind poets whose dust we are inhaling.

Is there a university press that likes to publish blind-related titles?
That would be one possibility.

Another is the one I first suggested, Library of America's James Merrill
Poets Series.  But the collection would need to be highly streamlined--only
fifty poems or less by maybe twenty poets or less, but must be drawn from
comprehensive sources.

A looser anthology, not so strict in its standards, could go with any number
of publishers.

But maybe before we can discern the true viability of an anthology is to
find if there are solid contemporary poems.  Because that will decide
whether either a definitive or a contemporary collection is worth it.  While
the old stuff in a definitive anthology is interesting, what really decides
its value is its contemporary offerings.  If we happen to find a ton of
really strong modern poems, it is possible we'll have enough for just a
modern anthology.  But the poems have to be really, really good.

I have yet to read ANY contemporary blind poet's work other than my own and
other deafblind ones.

Do you know of ANY living blind poet who has published a book?  I've Googled
on this before but found nothing.  I'll Google again.

John