[stylist] Exhibit A

John Lee Clark johnlee at clarktouch.com
Sat Apr 4 18:52:07 UTC 2009

This is Exhibit A of the kind of work I do NOT want in.  Blind people have
written yards and yards of this stuff over the centuries.  Only a small,
small few wrote anything of lasting value that was thoroughly mainstream in
content.  Milton was one, but since then nobody has really gained wide
respect in the general poetry community, as far as I know.  But should there
be truly great work, it could get in.  For example in my Deaf anthology,
there were two poets who had some truly remarkable poems nothing directly to
do with their deafness.  But even so, one was about being open about sex and
not buttoned up about it--this was a Deaf woman who wrote a poem describing
the female orgasm . . . written in the middle of the nineteenth century, and
scholars believe it is the first poem to be so graphic by a woman in
America.  The poem didn't say anything about deafness, yet it did not
include sounds, so it was honest, and there's the possibility that the poet
was able to be so open because she was Deaf and not so bound by society's
constraints.  That's just one example.  So it needn't be blind, but at least
it needs to be real and honest.

Anyway, here's a perfect example of what I won't choose.

A JUNE MORNING.

    Early one morn in leafy June,
    When brooks and birds were all in tune,
    A maiden left her quiet home