[stylist] Tragic endings?

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 7 19:51:40 UTC 2009

Helene,

I think the most important thing is that the ending flows from the story,
that it naturally wraps up the plot and subplots without being forced.  I
think of the ending as the "payoff" for all that went before, for going
through the struggles and ups and downs with the characters.

I've read some awfully painful books out of nothing but grim determination
only to end up  loving them because the payoff was so worth it!  I've also
read some where I loved every bit of the reading, right up to the point
where the writer just phoned in the ending.  What a let down!  I get all
glum and angry over it.  Why did I invest my time and imagination and
emotion on these characters, on this story, only to have them do something
artificially contrived and idiotic just so the writer could wash his/her
hands of them?

When it comes to fantasy, I do appreciate epilogues.  An update on the world
I've been exploring and worrying about.  How is it different now that the
conflict is resolved and victory achieved (by whoever achieved it).  I also
get really excited if the epilogue hints that a sequel might be coming!
/grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney