[stylist] stylist Digest, Vol 60, Issue 25

Kerry Thompson uinen at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 25 20:43:16 UTC 2009

Hi friends,

Books put on tape for the blind (special format) do not compensate the
author.
The idea of Kindle would be to make books accessible to blind readers who
wouldn't buy books otherwise.   Having books read aloud in a computer voice
is not the same as an audio book read by the author or a professional actor.
 But nevertheless, the point is that the person would buy the book first
before reading it in any manner.   So how is that not compensating the author?
Lori

*shrug* Argue with the Authors Guild.

Seems to me, though, electronic rights covers this, or ought to, whereas recordings and other physical accessible formats fall under the exemption. Yes, what you're saying makes sense; but I think there is a distinction without a difference being drawn here, and confusion being caused precisely because elecronic rights seem different from other rights. They are not, of course. But all the more do I see a need for a comprehensive standard.

You're right that what a consumer does with a book once it has been purchased is a nonissue. We have to make sure that authors and publishers understand that Kindle, Fictionwise etc. simply represent an editional mode of publishing. It's not so hard to understand, really. Asimov's Science Fiction, for example, buys electronic rights; it says so up front on their guidelines. All that is needed is for all publishers to incorporate electronic rights, including rights pertaining to accessible formats, into their contracts. I presume audio rights already exist. Sometimes a commercial audiobook is issued by the print publisher itself or an associated firm, sometimes by a firm specializing in audiobooks. Either way, I presume the author has control, as with film rights, and can choose to sell or retain the rights. Similarly, electronic rights are a distinct item. They need to spell out clearly what technologies, including adaptive/assistive technologies, are covered. The whole thing does not seem very difficult to me.

Perhaps I'll look for the Authors Guild web site and see exactly what their position is on this matter. I know they are angry about Google Books. That is a different situation, where Google would put a book online once and any Internet user could download it for free. That does not seem fair to me. But, I'm sure something reasonable can be done about accessibility of electronic books. As you say, refusing to allow accessibility cuts down on the number of books sold, which is something you'd thhink they would be able to understand.

Er... How come we need a new list? Does everyone on Stylist have to move over to the new list? I must have missed something very important somewhere.

Solidarity and Peace,
Kerry