[stylist] farther, further, farthest, furthest

John Lee Clark johnlee at clarktouch.com
Fri Feb 13 20:02:45 UTC 2009

Jim:

Farthering is very, very rare, so erase it from your vocabulary.  Furthering
is useful.  Since further refers to abstract concepts, such as progress,
furthering as a verb is like progress or expanding or advancing as a verb.

If you're confused about a word, simply refrain from using it.  There are
plenty other words you can use, and many of them would be better, anyway.

John