[stylist] having obviously different eyes

Barbara Hammel poetlori8 at msn.com
Mon Feb 16 20:35:16 UTC 2009

I was born with microophthalmia so my eyes were small and a milky-white
color.  When I was six I had an unsuccessful cornea transplant so my left
eye shrunk so the eye never opened.  I didn't get a prosthesis until I was
sixteen and the ocularist made it look just like my right eye.  I went to a
residential school so dating was discouraged.
In collegeI sort of dated one guy who could see.  Until I met my husband, he
was the only sighted guy who showed any interest in me.
Since I got prostheses that look like "normal" eyes when I lost my sight
completely earlier this decade I think I got more positive responses from
people.  I still have a hard time remembering to look at people when I talk
to them and that usually throws them off.
But no longer do I have to hear the children out there ask me why my eyes
look funny and keep telling me to open them.
It can be disheartening but just try to be a likeable chap and surely there
must be someone who is mature enough to know you can't judge a book by its
cover.
Barbara
If wisdom's ways you wisely seek, five things observe with care:  of whom
you speak, to whom you speak, and how and when and where.