[stylist] The podcast about the book, by the theripist

James Canaday M.A. N6YR n6yr at sunflower.com
Tue Feb 17 02:42:47 UTC 2009

dear Robert,
I'd love to have Carmela Broome join us and we have a talk on the
phone or here on e-mail.  I think I could learn a good deal.

I know that high profile authors get sent on "book tours" by their
publishers, doing local, regional, and national radio and
TV.  visiting bookstores, perhaps visiting important locations.  plus
if the author in the process can say something newsworthy, that's
even better.  maybe hard on a national level, but if an author comes
to your local bookstore, says something about your town, or presents
some personal connection or private personal history linked to your
town, it'll print in the paper and go on the local tv/radio.

I'd also say that maybe an author should know how to write press
releases with one's own hand.

what an author can do, some depends  on the author.  if I'm the
author, I can't travel very well, and if I do, the disciplin of my
daily sleep-wake schedule has to continue and I have to avoid major
stress.  but I've written press releases many many times, can do them
in my sleep practically.
another author, might have more energy and time to put into it, and
even without a publisher sending her, she could "hit the road" with
appointments made in advance and do her own tour.

if the book has a connection to a hobby, that hobby nowadays has its
own media, so the author should get into that media.

that's what I can think of off the top of my head robert.
jc

Jim Canaday M.A.
Lawrence, KS