[stylist] Blind and segregation

helene ryles dreamavdb at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 1 05:34:24 UTC 2009

Donna,

I don't really see anything wrong with being taught in the same school
as someone with learning difficulties or profound disabilities. Some
people with learning difficuties are the nicest people I know.

I spent some time at a special school. It was a total mixed bag. I
stayed their until my dad realised I wouldn't be taking any exams if I
stayed there. It was basically just a dumping ground for disabled
kids. The kind of school that probably promted the total inclusion
movement in the first place.

However it did enlighten me about the needs of all sorts of disabled
people. Including those with learning difficulties. Later I worked as
a Masseur for a day centre where many of the cliets had quite severe
learning disablities. I feel that a unity amonst all disabled would
definately be a good thing rather then each disabled group wanting
their own thing and nobody really speaking out for those who have
learning difficulties and more profound disabilities.

I also find I feel my differances more keenly when mixing with non
disabled people. I had to leave one 'normal' school because this boy
didn't want a 'mental deafo' in his class. Bullying happens everywhere
but it's been at it's worst for me in that mainstream school I went
to. I eventually had to leave.

I also don't see anything bad about blind kids having to leave their
families. In fact some families positively cossett their blind
children. They do everything for them. So they go to mainstream school
need so much extra help. Especially if the school isn't really geered
for teaching them to be independant. What kind of example is it going
to show normal kids when they come across blind kids like that? At
least at a segregated school the blind child would learn how to be
more independant.

I think integration has it's place. It would only work at school level
if the mainstream school had a blindness skills resorce room and the
proper facilites or the parents could push for these. But it doesn't
often happen. So rather then being dumped into mainstream without any
services these kids would be better off at blind schools even if it
means being taught at the same school as kids who are more disabled
then they are.

Helene.

>>> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/jbron%40opton