[stylist] february teleconference

James Canaday M.A. N6YR n6yr at sunflower.com
Tue Jan 27 06:08:56 UTC 2009

hi Angela, been a busy day here.
before I write about the teleconference you missed because you were
playing hookey, here's a link

http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/smile-instead-of-frown/2009/jan/24/the-ice-cream-brass-knuckle-sandwich-and-pushy-sho/
this guy is writing some challenging and interesting stuff, you just
have to loosen the screws of your mind before you read it.  I replied
to him a couple of times in the comments.  amazing our newspaper
allows this on its site!

***
okay, I was seriously late getting to the teleconference, about
30minutes late, because my wife had the phone tied up.  so, I missed
the beginning when they were handing out the challenge grants of
$25,000 and such.
as I wrote, the most important part of what I participated in was
discussion of writing dialogue.  some said they liked to let it flow
first, then go back and correct, especially if the dialoge is in
dialect.  others, about half, said they needed research and study,
thought, get details nailed down, in order to write that.  I
mentioned that before writing a character, especially one with
dialect, I found I liked sitting for a while and mentally collecting
what I knew, what experiences I'd had, etc., relevant to a character
like that.
we talked about the writers division being a gathering point to put
together a book on the history of the cane, perhaps with several
chapters by several authors.
we also discussed train travel, and the insides of locomotives.
as in my previous note, we also discussed the next teleconference,
and those two questions: meeting word limits; and becoming a novel writer.
  Robert posed a challenge that people write and submit one thousand
word stories or essays about personal perceptions that had changed
our lives.  this, too, might make a very fine book indeed.  we
discussed blind people's perceptions.  also discussed photography and
tactile graphics.

Patty Harmon joined for the first time and introduced herself, she
taught blind people in new mexico for 30-years.

others should feel free to add what my recall has ommitted please!

and, if there's a subcommittee meeting at 5a.m. I ain't on it!

jc

Jim Canaday M.A.
Lawrence, KS