[stylist] Writing Contest Winners- here they are

Robert Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Tue Jul 14 01:43:31 UTC 2009

I know many of you have been asking for this information. I've been caught
up in many after-convention details. Here are the results of the 2009
writing contest. I will present the winners of the youth contest first,
second will be the adult section.

The Youth Writing Contest was to promote Braille literacy
We required that a hand Braille copy of the entry come with a print copy. We
received 33 entries. The contest was divided into 3 age groups- elementary,
middle and high school. The winners are as follows:

Youth Contest Winners
--Elementary School:

--Poetry

First Place
 The Vision Walk by Michael Taylor
4th Grade

Second Place
 I Belong to a Big Family by Lauren Thomson
4th Grade

	Third Place
	 Spring by Alexxus Riles
	5th Grade

Honorable Mention

Dolphins by Hannah Gasses
4th Grade

My Tree by Nina Marranca
3rd grade

-Stories-

First Place
 The Three Frisky Ferrets by Caleb Green
4th Grade

Second Place
 The Taco that Came to Life by Hannah gasses
4th Grade

Third Place
 The Battle of Terronn and Tusac by Megan Borella
5th Grade

Honorable Mention

Crossing Through A Mirror Into A Strange World by Michael Taylor
5th Grade

--Middle School:

--Poetry

first Place
 NIGHTMARE ON 190TH STREET by NINA WAGNER
7th Grade

Second Place
 My Teacher is a Vampire by Chandler Williams
6th Grade

Third Place
 Ode to the Sounds of Hockey by Jonathan Welscott
6th Grade

Honorable Mention

 Winter  by Caitlin Dilamani
7th grade

-- Stories

First Place
 DREAM IN A BOTTLE by Sophie Trist
6th Grade

-- High School

--Poetry:

First Place
 Loves Flame by Michael Moore
9th Grade

Second Place
 The Beauty of Water by Anastasiya Andreyeva
11th Grade

Third Place
 Spirit's Song by Raymond Macapagal
10th Grade

Honorable Mention

The Weeping Willow by Skylor Campbell
9th grade

--Stories

First Place
 Nanook by Erica Schamberger
9th Grade

.

Adult Contest

--Poetry

First Place
Harriet Barrett-Gentler Times

Second Place
W. Burns Taylor-Nightscape

Third Place
Marilyn Brandt Smith-Riding the Winds

Honorable Mention

Kathy Nimmer-A Poem To Set The Record Straight About Labs

Kerry Thompson-The Escape

Jennifer Boylan-A Penny Saved

Jacqueline Williams-My Fingertips Braille You to Me

--Stories

Chris Kuell- The Braillist

Robert Gardner- Blind Date

Sabrina Deaton- Captured Pieces of time