[stylist] Nonfiction Category in Contest

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 4 05:37:49 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

    I've been discussing a further expansion of our writing contest; the
indlusion of a Nonfiction Category for blind youth and adults. One way we
change public misperceptions of blindness and our abilities is by
encouraging blind individuals to write stories of how they cope with
blindness and what they have achieved in their lives and how they overcame
predjudice, discrimination, and misunderstandings about blindness held by
the public to succeed in their career of calling and the impact they made on
society as a whole.

    One way to create a reservoir of writing by budding blind writers about
their experiences with blindness and its challenges would be to include a
nonfiction category in our writing contest for blind youth and adults. We
all have wonderful stories to tell concerning dealing with our blindness and
the state of the World in general. Including the nonfiction category would
be a wonderful way to increase the number of contest participants and to
build a large body of accounts of the experiences attitudes, beliefs, and
stories of blind individuals in their own words.

    Mr. President I'd like to suggest that we discuss this at this year's
NFBWD Business Meeting. Perhaps this new category could be added to the
2010/2011 contest. See you all in Detroit.

Peter Donahue