[stylist] Book about a deafblind guy

helene ryles dreamavdb at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 17 00:33:36 UTC 2009

I'm afraid I don't know tactile sign language yet. I was raised
orally, and when I lost my sight I had problem with visual sign
language and didn't know too much about tactile sign language until I
started communicating with other deafblind people online.

I think one should prepare for blindness or deafblindness, but often
it isn't just the atitude of the deafblind or blind person but those
round them. Sometimes convincing others that you are still the same
person and don't need everything doing for you can be an uphill
struggle.  This is why it would be good for some newly blind people to
be taught living skills away from home in NFB type centres but we
don't have them here in Britain as far as I know. They seem to be
moving away from being taught in centres at all.  You just get someone
come to teach you at home so you don't get to meet any other blind
people.

Helene