[stylist] question

John Lee Clark johnlee at clarktouch.com
Tue Mar 24 21:35:55 UTC 2009

Judith:

Oh, please.  Sighted is NOT better than blind.  It is just that those who
have sight are rewarded with more from society.  But EVEN SO, even with
society's favoring sightedness over blindness, I have often found blindness
to be better than being sighted in so many things.  In their over-dependence
on vision, sighted people neglect so many wonderful resources and potential
skills.  But it works all right for them to some shallow degree, but
whenever they hit an unusual situation or problem or lose something or
things don't go as planned or any number of other things, I've found that
they are often very weak, clueless, slow, lost.

Mayb e this is a deaf-blind perspective and not a blind one?  Maybe the
blind are the same as sighted people in their relying overmuch on one
sense--hearing--and in so doing experience disability more acutely when
encountering sight-related matter?  I don't know.  But let me assure you
that the other senses I had the privilege of cultivating are wonderful and
are better tools than full vison and hearing for many things.  Perhaps the
most important of them to me is kinethestics.

But the real bottom line is that we ALL are disabled in that we are merely
human and we ALL use our minds to overcome this universal problem.

Are you, then, suggesting that blind people's minds are not as good as
sighted people's minds?  Because that would be the ONLY explanation for
sighted being better than blind.  Otherwise, one wouldn't be better than the
other at all, just somewhat different.

John