[stylist] German shepard in fantasy world?

James Canaday M.A. N6YR n6yr at sunflower.com
Wed May 6 04:15:35 UTC 2009

Helene,
I'd also have trouble with german vs. australian vs. other shepherd dogs.

personally I think you should come up with your own word, maybe not
even use the word dog since this is fantasy.  then early on give the
german-shepherd-dog-like animals a brief capsule description with
your made up name for their breed/species.  if you have a lengthy
book and the gwarbs or whatever you call them show up at other times
you can put in brief reminders of their build, nature, coat,
aptitude, or whatever is important.
if you use "german shepherd" or even just "shepherd dog" I'm thinking
you'd have too much label confusion for your readers.  so make your
own to suit you.
jc

Jim Canaday M.A.
Lawrence, KS